Onware Software Corporation was founded in 2002 as a spin-off of the University of Alberta’s Department of Computing Science.
Onware Inc. was formed in 2007 and continues the work started by Onware Software Corporation.
The seven original founders of Onware Software Corporation were:
- Avra Software Lab Inc.
- Matt Edwards
- Fraser Gallop
- Ian Moon
- John Shillington
- Paul Sorenson
- The University of Alberta
- 1997 – First Internet application research begins at University of Alberta Software Engineering Research Lab and Avra Software.
- 2001 – Learning and Innovation in New Company Creation (LINC) project started.
- Sept. 2002 – Onware spun-off from LINC.
- Early 2003 – Onware launches with Event Management and Architecture/Engineering/Construction products.
- 2003-2007 – Onware builds client base across western Canada with over 125 deployments.
- Early 2007 - Event Management product licensed to Bits In Glass and re-branded Go Big Event. Onware Inc. is formed and continues to develop Architecture/Engineering/Construction products.
- 2008 – Onware passes 500 projects and 1,750 users. In total Onware has helped manage projects with a total value over $2 billion.
- Dec. 2008 – The fourth generation of Onware software is released to clients.
- Late 2010 – Work begins on Onware 7, the most fundamental change since the beginning of Onware. Onware 7 when released will more than triple the number of features in Onware as well as add better performance and major refinements to existing features.